Choosing the best sun protection
Evidence suggests that childhood sun exposure contributes significantly to your lifetime risk of skin cancer. It’s important to take multiple approaches to protecting your child’s skin from sun damage.
- Choose a broad spectrum, SPF30 natural sunscreen that contains zinc oxide as the active ingredient. The Little Innoscents SPF30 Natural Sun Lotion is a great choice for babies over 6 months of age. Apply to areas of exposed skin that are not covered by protective clothing, such as the face, ears, hands, neck and feet
- Avoid sunscreens that contain chemical UV blockers and other nasties such as parabens, octyl methoxycinnamate (OMC), oxybenzone (benzophenone-3), octyl-dimethyl-PABA and octinoxate, 4-methylbenzylidene camphor (4-MBC), padimate O (2-ethylhexyl-4-dimethylaminobenzoate), tints or artificial fragrances
- Cover up with a hat that protects the baby’s face, neck and ears and appropriate outdoor clothing to protect the skin, such as a long-sleeved rashie swimsuit. We recommend fabrics that are tested and approved with an SPF 50+ sun safety rating
- A pair of wraparound sunglasses will help to protect your baby’s eyes
- Try to plan your day’s activities outside the middle of the day when UV levels are most intense. Limit the time you spend in the direct sun and seek shade where possible
Keeping skin hydrated
Malaysia's hot weather all year round can be harsh on delicate baby skin, so keeping them hydrated is very important.
- First and foremost, always give plenty of fluids. Breast milk is ideal, but if your baby or toddler has weaned, give them either formula or water and also fruit and vegetables with a high water content, such as watermelon are good choices for older babies who have started solid foods
- Moisturise once or twice a day with an Organic Baby Moisturiser to keep the skin hydrated from the outside. This is particularly important for those who suffer from eczema or other dry skin conditions, as keeping the skin from drying out can be a useful preventative measure
- If the skin or lips do get too dry after a day outdoors, or a little too much sun exposure has occurred and caused sunburn, a quality, natural skin balm such as a Paw Paw Balm or an Intensive Soothing Cream will go a long way to helping lock in and restore moisture and to heal and soothe it as quickly as possible.
*While the greatest effort has been invested to ensure the validity of this information, the advice therein is set as a ‘general’ guide only, and your individual needs may require a different method to the one shown. We encourage you to see your regular healthcare professional, should you be concerned for you or your baby’s wellbeing.